Building Renovation Energy Savings
If you are planning a renovation, large or small, it’s the perfect time to consider energy use and whether there are more energy efficient technologies that can be included in your renovation. The benefits of incorporating energy efficient technologies into your building renovation include (but aren’t limited to):
- A warmer, more comfortable working space
- Reduced heating costs from increased insulation and less air loss
- Addressing any structural problems which will, in turn, extend the life of your investment
- Increased ventilation can improve the indoor air quality
- Warmer interior surfaces will help to minimize moisture and prevent mold growth
When planning your renovation, keep the following ten points in mind:
- What are the current insulation levels?
- Are there air drafts?
- How energy-efficient are the windows and exterior doors?
- Is the existing ventilation sufficient to allow for ample airflow?
- Are there any structural deficiencies that should be addressed?
- Is there water leaking through the roof, flashing, siding, basement, windows or doors?
- Can below grade areas be air sealed and insulated in a way to avoid mold problems?
- Is there any evidence of moisture problems?
- How efficient is the heating, cooling and/or ventilation system?
- Is the current heating/cooling/ventilation system sufficient for your new needs following your renovation?
- Is this renovation a good time to install a more energy-efficient heating/cooling system?
Not only can renovating with an energy saving mindset improve indoor air quality, humidity levels, and overall comfort, but will lead to cost savings as energy usage is reduced.
If you have an idea you’d like to run by us, or if you’d like to learn more about green HVAC solutions in general, please feel encouraged to contact us – we’ll connect your questions with answers within 2 business days.